Thursday, December 18, 2008

Trials and Blessings

Sorry - I sorta' disappeared for a while. That last post threw me for a loop. I guess I was only mildly prepared for the comments I received. I knew that not everybody would agree with me. And that's ok. But what I was most unprepared for was the amazing support of my friends. It was so surreal to just sit back and watch them come to my defense. I feel so blessed and so lucky that I have such an incredible support system. I feel blessed to have "imperfect" friends - because I don't know that I would have had the courage to do any of the things I talked about without knowing that I was not alone. I feel like I've grown so much closer to so many people through this experience and I just feel so blessed.

So to update on my doctor/med status: I found a new doctor who was amazing. He listened to me and validated me. He diagnosed me with post-partum depression. He said it is very common to experience post-partum even this late (Anna being 11 months old). It is a very real disease and very treatable disease. He said that it is very common for women to require medication to help them through it. He prescribed Cymbalta (which is actually one of the most mild anti-depressants on the market - very few side effects, etc.) and said that it would help me get to a point where I can deal with the day-to-day and eventually get to a point where I can get up and exercise! I also got some very interesting information about the studies that were done on Cymbalta: out of 1200 patients in one study, 43% of those patients on Cymbalta were able to go off of it after only 8 weeks! Now, I am not setting a time limit for myself, but I feel confident that I am not going to need it forever. I feel like my therapy has helped me through so much already and the Cymbalta is only going to help me even more.

So, that's where I'm at. Thanks again to all my friends and family who displayed such an outpouring of love on my behalf. I don't think I even have words to express how grateful I am to you. It is so true that through our greatest trials come our greatest blessings.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Where does depression hurt- everywhere. Who does depression hurt- everyone! Sorry I have the commercial memorized... I'm glad you have something to help and hope that things will start looking up for you!

Brock said...

hahahah!!! Jenn that was such a funny comment!! And NOT what I was expecting! I too am so thrilled that you are taking care of yourself and doing what you need to do to be healthy. I dare anyone to get in your way again! :)
Erin

jennifer said...

oh that's good news. so glad you found a doctor that would listen to you! once again, thanks for opening up your life to all of us.

and, by the way, cute christmas card! i love the blue - your scarf is my favorite.

RMCarter said...

Yea for taking charge of your happiness, your treatment, and YOUR life! Yea for following inspiration and pushing through roadblocks to find the help you need! Yea for following the prompting of the spirit and doing what is right for YOU and YOUR family, regardless of opposition!

Yea for you! :) Big smiles!

CareyClan said...

Ya! I'm so glad you found a new doctor! I'm so happy for you, most women don't know how to recognize this problem, and luckily for you your friends have helped you. PS- Dude, we totally have the same blog background again!!! SPOOKY!!!

kelly said...

I am so glad that things are getting taken care of for you. It was good to see you last night!