Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Extreme Home Makeover

Ok, so not that extreme, but I just finished painting my bathroom and the change in color is pretty extreme. When we first moved into this house, I wanted my bathroom yellow. I wanted a nice buttercup yellow, but as I was looking at samples, a lot of the yellows looked like off-white. So I decided on a fairly bold yellow because I wanted to make sure it could not be mistaken for off-white. Well, it turned out much more bold than I had anticipated - pretty, but wow, it was loud. Here's my yellow bathroom (I forgot to do an official "Before" picture, so this is just one I found in my archives):

I think the picture may make it look a little more neon that it actually was, but you get the picture - it was bright. When I first did it, Eric said "Well, it'll definitely wake me up in the morning!" So I've never LOVED the color, but we've lived with it for almost 4 years now...time for a change.

Ahhh...isn't that refreshing? A nice, calm, soothing blue. It's such a different room now!
Thanks for all your help, Erin! We banged this project out in just a few hours - it's so much more fun painting with a friend!
And while we're on the subject - I never posted a picture of our finished living room - I painted one wall of the living room burgundy back in March. But then I (and Erin!) went back and painted the other 3 walls off-white. And then Eric got his dream TV and a new entertainment cabinet with a portion of our tax refund. So here is a shot of our "finished" living room (at least one side of it):
I love having the freedom to paint and do what I want to beautify my home. The only room I haven't painted is the office - hmmm....

5 comments:

Eric Metler said...

The only painting in the office will be the pieces of paper Haylie tapes to the walls. I like white walls. White walls can be boring if every room has white walls. Since all the rooms but the office have been painted. The white walls look good.

Kristie said...

I knew I'd get a comment out of Eric! He does love his white walls. Ok. We'll leave it...for now... ;-)

Jenn said...

Looks great!

kelly said...

I love the bathroom. What a difference. I had a very similar experience in our old house with a yellow bathroom. Somehow yellow in a little splotch is much milder than when you get it up on all the walls.

Grace said...

I love the paint color in your bathroom!! (the blue, not the yellow) It's almost exactly the same color we have in our kitchen! (and eventually we are planning to do it in the bathroom too with the leftover paint!