Monday, September 20, 2010

Code Yellow

Code Yellow: The code they announce over the intercom in Target when a child is missing. How do I know this? I had the lovely experience of telling a Target employee that my child was missing this morning. I went in to Target to buy one thing...ONE THING!! Anna wanted to ride in the big ginormous cart and I said no because we were going to go in, buy my iron pills (just found out I'm anemic), and leave. So she put on her best pouty face and walked with me towards the pharmacy. Then stopped. I told her to come with me, counted to 3, then walked towards her to make her come and she took off. Well, I'm not moving so quickly these days - 7 months pregnant and experiencing a lot of pain in my c-section incision site (from previous c-sections). The scar tissue has to stretch as the baby grows and it is very painful. I literally cannot run after her. So I waddle myself in the direction she went - thinking that she would realize Mom is not around, get scared and come back. Nope. She was gone. Now I'm starting to panic. I called Eric and immediately started crying while telling him I can't find Anna. He said to go find an employee and tell them that I can't find her. Hello embarrassing. Well, I found someone right then, she got her walky-talky and announced CODE YELLOW. She told me that when they say that, somebody will immediately block the exits so that nobody can leave the store. I gave her a description and it took probably 1 minute or less for them to find her...guess where? Yup - the toy section. She was carrying a Polly Pocket toy and completely oblivious to the fact that she had scared the snot out of me. Actually I'm not sure I was as scared as I was embarrassed. Here I am hobbling around pregnant with my 3rd child and I can't even seem to control #2. Sheesh. Needless to say, she did not get her Polly Pocket that she so independently shopped for. I got my iron pills and got the heck out of there. I had to be somewhere right then, but as soon as I was finished there, I went straight to Kmart (didn't want to return to the "scene of the crime") and bought a harness/leash for her. She has officially lost any freedom she had previously enjoyed (abused).


She doesn't seem too upset about it yet...but we'll see...
So, if you see me hobbling around with my child attached to a leash, you'll know why. It had to be done. Guess maybe next time I'll say yes to the giant cart...

1 comments:

kelly said...

I used to think those kid leashes were horrid until I had my 3rd son, he was everywhere. I never bought one but I often wished I had one.