Monday, June 30, 2008

...a cluck-cluck here and a cluck-cluck there...

Sunday morning, I was changing Anna's diaper in her room. The change table is right in front of the window that looks out into the back yard. As I'm changing her diaper, I see a rather large looking bird out by the garden. At first, I thought it was a duckling. I yelled for Eric to go check it out - and he looked out the window and said, "Kinda' looks like a chicken." Ok...a chicken. So, I snuck out to the back yard through the garage cuz I didn't want to spook whatever it was. As I got closer I realized that yes, it was indeed a chick. You may be wondering..."How in the world did a chicken end up in the back yard?" I have no idea. At all. Well, my mom came up with one possible scenario. If a larger predatory bird caught the chick, it could have dropped it into our yard. I suppose that makes sense. I don't see any signs of attack - but it is possible. There is no chicken farm around here that I am aware of. I don't know - it's a mystery, but I love it!

Isn't she adorable??

When she saw me, she came running towards me - no fear at all! Then Haylie came out and we got some bird seed and it ate right out of her hand! Now, I kid you not, I think the chick (by the way, we named her Clucky) thinks Haylie is its Mommy. Have you ever read the book "Are You My Mother?" by P.D. Eastman? Well, it is one of Haylie's favorites - and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Clucky follows Haylie EVERYWHERE! If Haylie goes to another part of the yard, and Clucky can't find her, she starts to chirp really loudly, then when she spots Haylie, she takes off running as fast as she can to catch up with her! One of these days I'm going to get it on video and upload it for you to see - it is sooo cute!

Click on the picture to make it bigger - you can see her chasing Haylie

Last night, when we were eating dinner, the chick sat at the door chirping away because she could see Haylie through the window..

I never wanted to let a chicken in my house so badly! Look at that face!! ;-)

So yes, we have the most unconventional pets around: 1 painted mantella frog (oh did I mention 2 of our exotic frogs died? well, that is for another day), approximately 75 baby toads wandering the yard, 5 adult toads (that we know of), a box turtle, a desert tortoise, and a partridge in a pear tree...er..I mean, a sweet little chick named Clucky.

I think we're about a goat and a sheep shy of a petting zoo!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

Lol! ok only at the Metler's would a chick land in the yard!! e-i-e-i-o!!!!

Jenn said...

Old Mac Metler had a farm.... What a cute little chick, come on let it in the house! It was good to see you and the girls today. What a bunch of cuties!

RMCarter said...

How cute is that! I hope Clucky sticks around, although they probably become progressively less cute as they get older...oh, well. Maybe you love it too much by then to care. :)

Very fun pet collection you acquiring!

Sorry to hear your froggies died.
:(