Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Daylight Savings Time

Last night Haylie wanted a snack just before dinnertime - here's how the conversation went down:

Haylie: Mommy, I'm hungry.

Me: Hi Hungry, I'm Mommy

Haylie: May I have a snack please? (We've been having this conversation for days now - she is slowly learning her manners)

Me: No, you may not have a snack - it's almost dinnertime

Haylie: *looks outside* It's not dinnertime - it's not dark yet!

How do you explain daylight savings time to a 3 year old? Then later, after dinner:

Haylie: Mommy, are we going to go to bed in the morning?

Me: Huh?

Haylie: Are we going to go to bed in the MORNING? (Sounding frustrated with me)

Me: No, we wake up in the morning

Haylie: *looking outside* But it's morning outside - we're going to go to bed in the morning!

Me: Well you see Haylie, somebody once upon a time decided that he wanted more sunlight in the summertime and decided that if he just changed the time on the clock then everything would work out just fine, so every fall and every spring we change the clocks and voila! It's called daylight savings time. Makes sense, right?

Haylie: Can I take a bath?

3 comments:

RMCarter said...

Ha! This made me smile. :) She is such a cutie.

Jenn said...

pretty funny! I love the later days- but not liking waking when it's still dark outside! Plus, it's throwing Sydney's nap schedule off! Who's idea was this?

kelly said...

I was thinking about a daylight savings post but mine would be very different. I HATE IT! It takes us so long to adjust. Haylie is so cute though, I love your conversations with her.