Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Eric vs. The Gopher

For those of you who don't know, Eric loves to garden. He takes very good care of our yard. He plants beautiful flowers, veggies, mows the grass, etc. So you can imagine that someone who puts that kind of time and effort into his yard would be a little "annoyed" by gophers. I say annoyed but that really is an understatement when it comes to Eric. Gophers are his nemesis. He hates them. He is very creative when it comes to trying to eliminate them. He uses gopher traps - which work a lot of the time, but I think that is too boring for him. So other times he will pour gasoline down the gopher hole and light it on fire. I am of the opinion that it really doesn't work, but I let him have his fun. Well, I think on Anna's birthday he may have proved me wrong. That morning he had done his gasoline trick in a hole in the back yard. So that afternoon, as we were all hanging out in the kitchen eating cake and ice cream, my brother-in-law looks out the back door and says "What is THAT? A hampster?" So we all look out the door and Eric yells "IT'S A GOPHER!!" Sure enough, a gopher was roaming around the back yard. ??? I did not think they ever came out of their holes, but apparently they will come above ground and collect seeds and stuff that they find in the grass.



So Eric runs out the back door and starts taunting the gopher - you would think he was in Heaven. Then my dad shows up with a shovel, I'm assuming to inhumanely end the gopher's life, and I'm thinking Haylie and her 4 cousins are all inside with their faces pressed to the windows watching the action..."Dad! Don't do that here!" To which he replied that of course he wouldn't do anything in front of the kids. Phew. Ok, so here are some pics from Eric's "gopher boxing" as he likes to call it...



Look at the fangs on this thing! Oh, and the pouches on the sides of his face - those were full of seeds - they captured him and put him in a bucket and he spit all the stuff out of his pouches. Weird.

So Anna's 1st birthday will be forever remembered as the day Eric got his revenge.

7 comments:

Brock Heasley said...

I needed a good laugh this morning!!! The third picture is my favorite, Eric and the gopher are in the exact same position! hehehehe.... They are ugly little buggers, good for Eric!
Erin

jennifer said...

that gopher was hideous! those teeth were too scary. i personally like the gasoline/fire approach to rodent extermination - it's kinda like fireworks, right?

Anonymous said...

AND... Gophers can swim, but only for a few minutes.

Thankfully, no shovel was harmed in the posting of this blog.

kelly said...

When I was little my dad would have me fill their holes with water from the hose until they came out and then he would use the shovel on them.

Jenn said...

so... what really happened to the gopher later? Never mind- I just read Erics comment--eewwwww!

sueyado said...

That was hilarious!!! Thanks for making me laugh today!

CareyClan said...

My money's on the gopher!!! Sorry Eric, but look at the size of that thing!!!