Wednesday, October 24, 2007

San Diego Fires

I've had a few friends call and ask how my family is doing with all the fires in San Diego County so thought I'd post something to let you all know that they are OK. My dad (who is a firefighter) is fighting the Harris fire which is in San Diego right near the border of Mexico. He left Sunday morning, got to sleep for a few hours Monday night and finally got to go to a "camp" that they set up for firefighters and get some real sleep last night. My mom was evacuated from the house Monday afternoon because the Rice Canyon fire had jumped the freeway and was headed west straight into Fallbrook. She was just returning from a trip to Arizona to visit a friend and was barely able to make it into town to get her belongings, and spent an hour and a half in bumper to bumper traffic trying to get back out of town. She is staying just north of Fallbrook in Temecula with my aunt at the moment. My in-laws were also evacuated, but they were able to get back into their house yesterday - they live on a hill so they'll be able to see if danger starts to get close. A friend of the family drove by my parents' house today and it is still standing - the firefighters were able to keep the fire from getting very far into town. The fire is now on the north end of town - so we're praying that the wind doesn't shift and head south, cuz then they'll be in danger again.

My brother and sister-in-law live in Canyon Country (near Magic Mountain) and they were also evacuated on Monday night, but were able to return Tuesday and everyone is safe.

It's been a stressful week, but we've definitely been blessed. Thanks to all my friends for your loving concern. I'll post again if anything changes...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

yah, makes you want to move down here-- doesn't it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this. As soon as they mentioned Fallbrook on the news, I thought of you! Keep us posted. Scary..