Monday, April 5, 2010

Piano Update

Read this post about my piano if you haven't already.

I was so optimistic. My wonderful piano man called me the next day and told me that the piano was toast. Apparently I misunderstood - I thought he said most of the plastic pieces had been replaced...I think what he said was that a couple of the plastic pieces had been replaced. He replaced the two that were broken, but as he was putting them in, more broke, and it was like a chain reaction. He said they would all need to be replaced...and that would end up costing about $1500. Well, we only paid $200 for the piano...so...really wouldn't be worth it.

He said he knew a guy who knew a guy who was selling a small upright that was in really good condition. So I went to look at it and yes, it was in great condition, with one exception. They were smokers. Unfortunately, wood absorbs that smell and it is impossible to get it out. I just wouldn't be able to have that in my tiny house. So I left there feeling very discouraged, because it was indeed a beautiful piano. I called my mom and told her what was happening. She said "Well, I wish there was some way to get our piano up to you..." I thought, well, that's really nice but I just don't think that piano will go in my house...it is a tall upright. We started doing measurements and she said it was 4'6" tall. I didn't believe her...I remember that piano being much taller than me. Well, apparently I was remembering the piano from my childhood...it's not nearly as huge as I thought it was!

Sooo...one uhaul trailer over 325 miles later...we have a new piano.
What I love about this piano is that my grandmother purchased it for $50, and gave it to my parents. I learned how to play on this piano. My mom refinished it years ago and it is beautiful! Hooray!
Thanks Mom!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

awesome! It looks good!

jennifer said...

wow. that piano is gorgeous! and FREE! what a great mama you have.

Alison B said...

congrats! it's beautiful.